BC wins NCAA hockey title
Steven Whitney scored just over three minutes into the game and added a late empty netter as the Ferris State Bulldogs scrambled to make up for a two-goal deficit to lead his Boston College Eagles to a 4-1 victory in the NCAA men's hockey Frozen Four Final at the Tampa Bay Times Forum in Tampa, Fla. on Saturday night.
Ferris State's Garrett Thompson evened it at one two minutes after Whitney's first tally, but Paul Carey hit the game-winner at 10:33 in the first on assists from Briam Dumoulin and Pat Mullane.
Johnny Gaudreau added an insurance goal for the Eagles with three minutes to play in the game before Whitney's dagger.
Parker Milner was the winning goalie, stopping 27 saves in the championship game, which saw Boston College capture its fifth national title.
Taylor Nelson made 33 saves for Ferris State, which failed to convert on its four power plays.
Barry Almeida, Kevin Hayes, and Patrick Wey also had assists for the Eagles.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kattar wins main event in MMA action in Salem - 0
- Pro bouts highlight Rockingham Park MMA card in Salem - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: The magic has returned to Fenway - 0
- MLB draft rich with NH talent - 0
- Red Sox stuck to their plan during draft - 0
- Salem boys take another v-ball title - 0
- LeBlanc paces Conant win over Somersworth for Division III baseball title - 0
- Perkins paces Pittsfield - 0
- State girls final tennis match gains attention for the wrong reason - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 8
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 6
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840