Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester brush fire shows danger during dry spring
MANCHESTER — Wooded areas in the region are brimming with all sorts of flammable tinder, warned a Manchester Fire Department chief after fighting a brush fire near Weston Observatory Monday afternoon.
The fire was detected by a motorist on Mammoth Road who reported smelling smoke, said District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
About 15 firefighters spent 1 1/2 hours extinguishing the fire, he said. The fire burned about 40,000 square feet.
“The woods are just cluttered with all type of fire load,” Poulin said. Three engines and a forest-fire truck were called to the scene, given the dry conditions and brisk wind.
Poulin said the fire burned deep into the ground, requiring extra effort to reach smoldering debris. Last Friday, firefighters fought a similar fire in the same area, he said.
Given the dry conditions, heavy rains are needed to reach deep into the soil and saturate the material, Poulin said.
“We have to have some heavy penetration,” he said. He said no one should light outdoor fires, and people should be careful with charcoal grills and cigarette butts.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax