Home » News » Public Safety
Trucker saves motorist's life, trooper says
CONCORD - A dump truck driver likely saved a motorist’s life after using his truck to block traffic after an accident Tuesday morning on Interstate 89, state police Lt. Mark Armaganian said.
Police said Christopher Richard, 31, of Antrim, was heading south on I-89 north of exit 2 about 7:45 a.m. Tuesday when his car drifted to the right and bounced off a guard rail. His car went back into the road and hit a car driven by Peter Kalpakgian, 24, of Warner.
Both cars went into the grass median. Richard’s car rolled over several times, and he was thrown from the car and landed in the center of the northbound lanes.
Armaganian said Lenny Hall, a dump truck driver for Dirt Doctors of Concord, witnessed the accident and prevented it from being far worse by blocking northbound traffic with his truck after seeing Richard lying in the road.
“He had the presence of mind to put it across the roadway to block traffic so the person in the roadway wouldn’t be run over,” Armaganian said. “If he hadn’t acted, this would have been a fatality, no doubt about it.
“He did the right thing,” Armaganian said of Hall. “He did a really good job.”
Brian Boudreau, a fellow employee at Dirt Doctors, said Hall’s actions were no surprise to him or other employees at the landscaping business.
“It’s definitely within his character,” Boudreau said.
Richard was taken to Concord Hospital with serious, but not life-threatening, injuries, police said. Police said fatigue may have caused the crash and said drugs and alcohol do not appear to be a factor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'