Home » News » Public Safety
Trucker saves motorist's life, trooper says
CONCORD - A dump truck driver likely saved a motorist’s life after using his truck to block traffic after an accident Tuesday morning on Interstate 89, state police Lt. Mark Armaganian said.
Police said Christopher Richard, 31, of Antrim, was heading south on I-89 north of exit 2 about 7:45 a.m. Tuesday when his car drifted to the right and bounced off a guard rail. His car went back into the road and hit a car driven by Peter Kalpakgian, 24, of Warner.
Both cars went into the grass median. Richard’s car rolled over several times, and he was thrown from the car and landed in the center of the northbound lanes.
Armaganian said Lenny Hall, a dump truck driver for Dirt Doctors of Concord, witnessed the accident and prevented it from being far worse by blocking northbound traffic with his truck after seeing Richard lying in the road.
“He had the presence of mind to put it across the roadway to block traffic so the person in the roadway wouldn’t be run over,” Armaganian said. “If he hadn’t acted, this would have been a fatality, no doubt about it.
“He did the right thing,” Armaganian said of Hall. “He did a really good job.”
Brian Boudreau, a fellow employee at Dirt Doctors, said Hall’s actions were no surprise to him or other employees at the landscaping business.
“It’s definitely within his character,” Boudreau said.
Richard was taken to Concord Hospital with serious, but not life-threatening, injuries, police said. Police said fatigue may have caused the crash and said drugs and alcohol do not appear to be a factor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 0
- Derry police recover stolen box for worn flags - 0
- Chief to Chef: Charlestown veteran chief leaving for food venture - 0
- Fire Marshal's Office didn't condemn school's historic stage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Slippery slide makes Monday driving tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072