Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Caps even series with 2OT win over Bruins
Nicklas Backstrom scored the game-winner at 2:56 of the second overtime period as visiting Washington evened its Eastern Conference quarterfinal series at 1-1 with a 2-1 victory.
After an uneventful first overtime period, Backstrom unleashed a wrister from the circle that eluded Tim Thomas to give the Capitals momentum heading back to Washington for the next two games of the series.
Braden Holtby made 43 saves to earn his first career victory playoff victory.
Troy Brouwer scored the first regulation goal of the series at 17:57 of the second period when he jammed a backhand past Thomas to put the Capitals up 1-0. The marker put an end to the Boston netminder's playoff shutout streak at 161 minutes and 41 seconds.
Benoit Pouliot avoided a poke check attempt by Holtby and chipped in a backhand to net his first career playoff goal and knot the contest at 12:13 of the third frame.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Thomas' last playoff goal allowed before Brouwer's tally was a Maxim Lapierre score at 17:34 of the third period on June 13, 2011 vs. Vancouver during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final. ... Bruins forward David Krejci played despite nursing a sore neck after being knocked to the ice by a pane of glass at TD Garden during the team's postseason celebration Thursday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins vs. Rangers: Here we go again - 0
- Bruins win Game 7 in overtime in epic comeback - 2
- Bruins’ scoring woes continue; series finale tonight - 0
- Goalie Reimer brilliant against Bruins as Leafs force Game 6 - 0
- Krejci 'tricks' Toronto, Bruins one win from advancing - 0
- Bruins beat Toronto for series lead - 0
- Bruins strong out of the gate, beat Toronto to open playoffs - 0
- History means nothing in Bruins-Leafs series - 0
- Senators drop Bruins - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 11
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 35
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 2
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack