Home » News » Public Safety
Lightning strike blamed for Hanover fire
HANOVER — Fire officials say a lightning strike started a house fire at 8 Wren Lane on Saturday night.
Hanover Fire Capt. Jeremy Thibeault said the fire started shortly before 6 p.m. The residents were home at the time and after a lightning flash, “The house filled with smoke pretty quickly,” he said.
Thibeault said the fire was brought under control within a half-hour and damage was confined to the dining room. He said the lightning apparently hit the air conditioner condenser and traveled into the home.
The family is staying elsewhere temporarily, he said.
Thibeault said it was a very brief thunderstorm. “I only heard one clap of thunder at my house,” he said.
Two dozen firefighters from Hanover, Lebanon and Hartford, Vt., responded to fight the fire, and Lyme and Norwich, Vt., provided station coverage.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth