Home » News » Public Safety
Lightning strike blamed for Hanover fire
HANOVER — Fire officials say a lightning strike started a house fire at 8 Wren Lane on Saturday night.
Hanover Fire Capt. Jeremy Thibeault said the fire started shortly before 6 p.m. The residents were home at the time and after a lightning flash, “The house filled with smoke pretty quickly,” he said.
Thibeault said the fire was brought under control within a half-hour and damage was confined to the dining room. He said the lightning apparently hit the air conditioner condenser and traveled into the home.
The family is staying elsewhere temporarily, he said.
Thibeault said it was a very brief thunderstorm. “I only heard one clap of thunder at my house,” he said.
Two dozen firefighters from Hanover, Lebanon and Hartford, Vt., responded to fight the fire, and Lyme and Norwich, Vt., provided station coverage.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'