Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Defending Cup champs face elimination after Capitals top Bruins, 4-3
BOSTON - Troy Brouwer scored the go-ahead goal with 1:27 remaining in the third period to lift visiting Washington to a 4-3 win and a 3-2 series lead over second-seeded Boston in the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.
Braden Holtby made 34 saves to earn his third career playoff victory for the Capitals, who host Game 6 on Sunday.
After Benoit Pouliot took a controversial slashing penalty late in the final session, Brouwer closed in and fired over the shoulder of Tim Thomas for his second goal of the series.
Defenseman Johnny Boychuk blasted a one-timer past Holtby on the power play at 8:47 of the third period to knot the contest at 3-3. The goal was Boston's first with the man advantage in the series.
Former Bruin Mike Knuble capitalized on a fortuitous rebound by Thomas at 3:21 of the final frame to give Washington a 3-2 edge.
After a scoreless first period, play opened up in the second when the Capitals jumped out to a 2-0 lead on Alexander Semin's third goal of the series and Jay Beagle's first career playoff marker.
The Bruins rallied later in the period as defenseman Dennis Seidenberg and Brad Marchand scored just 28 seconds apart to knot the contest at 2-2.
- - - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Bruins defenseman Joe Corvo suffered a lower-body injury while blocking a shot in the second period. He was forced to play limited minutes for the remainder of the game. ... Boychuk's power-play goal snapped a 0-for-14 slump for the Bruins with the man advantage in the series.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand