Home » News » Public Safety
Man seriously injured after 15-foot fall onto pilings in Newmarket
NEWMARKET - An unidentified man was seriously injured Thursday morning when he fell about 15 feet from a pier into shallow water.
The man was helping install docks for a small marina at 125 Main St. when the accident occurred, Newmarket Fire Chief Rick Malasky said.
Malasky said a company is using a crane to install the docks, and one of the workers slipped from above the docks and fell into the shallow water onto some pilings.
Malasky said it was about a 15-foot drop since at the time it was nearing low tide.
Fire and rescue crews received the call around 11:55 p.m.
Malasky said the man was transported to Exeter Hospital, but he did not know the extent of his injuries or his identity. He said he did not have the name of the company the man was working for either.
He said the man was in and out of consciousness when crews arrived, and there were signs of trauma.
He said the man appeared to be in his 50s.
Durham Fire sent an engine company to assist with getting the man out of the water.
“It is quite a drop-off there. They did have the ramp in, so we were able to utilize the ramp, but we did need to throw some ladders and get some people out there to get him out of the water, onto a backboard, into a Stokes basket and into the ambulance,” Malasky said.
He said the man was wearing a life jacket.
The Occupational Health and Safety Administration has been contacted and will be investigating, Malasky said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072