Home » News » Public Safety
Woman's body found in Piscataqua River
KITTERY, Maine — A woman's body was pulled out of the Piscataqua River Thursday evening, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.
Petty Officer Timothy Hoenig said officials received a call about 6:30 p.m. Thursday of what appeared to be a wet suit floating on the river between the Sarah Long and Memorial bridges. About 20 minutes later, the woman's body was pulled from the water on the Maine side of the river, he said.
He said officials have not identified the woman, who he said appears to be in her mid 50s. He said officials from police departments in New Hampshire and Maine are running through databases of missing women in the area.
No cause of death has been determined yet, he said.
“We don't know how long she'd been in the water. We don't know how she fell in,” he said.
He said the New Castle Police Department and the Portsmouth Fire and Rescue Service assisted in the recovery effort.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Nashua police department adds 8 new members - 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 40
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- High speed chase ends in crash in Lyndeborough - 2
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 3
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 1
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm