Home » News » Public Safety
Body found in Laconia River
LACONIA — A fisherman located a man's body in the Winnipesaukee River on Saturday and notified authorities, police said.
The body was pulled from the bottom of the channel behind Meredith Bridge Cemetery after police were notified at 8:48 a.m., Laconia police said.
Authorities know the man's name but were not releasing it until family members were notified.
Asked whether foul play was suspected, police Sgt. Thomas Swett said: “There's an autopsy next week.”
Marine Patrol as well as Fish and Game personnel were involved in the body's recovery.
David Goodwin, a cook at the nearby Water Street Cafe, said customers and staff were talking about the discovery.
“They thought they saw some of the divers,” he said.
Goodwin said he hoped it was no one he knew. “I feel bad for that family,” he said.
Goodwin recalled a body recovered a few years ago near a boat ramp about a half-mile away.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
- 1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford - 0
- 'Good Morning America' viewers see how much people care about missing Abigail Hernandez - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072