Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
State prison walk-away caught in Penacook
CONCORD — An inmate who walked away from minimum-security facility overnight Sunday was apprehended Monday afternoon in a Penacook apartment complex, about 14 hours after he was discovered missing, authorities said.
Michael James Cayton, 24, of Concord, was discovered in the apartment of a friend at the Meadowbrook complex off Fisherville Road, New Hampshire State Police said.
State and city police surrounded the building, and police spoke to Cayton, who was in the apartment, on the telephone. Police convinced Cayton to surrender, and he was taken into custody without a struggle, state police said in a statement.
He was arrested at 4:20 p.m. and returned to state prison, where he is expected to be charged with escape, a Class B felony.
Residents of a nearby building would not give their names but said police surrounded the building and hid behind trees. At one point, they pulled children out of ground-level windows, the residents said.
Corrections Department spokesman Jeff Lyons said police were being cautious.
“It's hard to predict what kind of response you're going to get from someone who's escaped from custody,” Lyons said.
Cayton had been incarcerated in the Corrections Transitional Work Center in Concord. He was noticed missing at 1 a.m. and placed on escape status an hour later.
He had been serving time on charges of witness tampering, criminal mischief, felon in possession of a firearm, burglary and sale and possession of heroin.
He was eligible for parole in December.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 4
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 4
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424