Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Balamotis sentenced in firebombing
BRENTWOOD — A Plaistow man was sentenced to two to four years in state prison for firebombing a house in Danville with two other men last year, and for breaking a bottle over a man's head during an unrelated incident in Kingston.
Jonathan Balamotis, 20, of Plaistow pleaded guilty to second-degree assault, arson and conspiracy to commit arson in Rockingham County Superior Court as part of a plea deal with county prosecutors.
Balamotis was the last of three men convicted of trying to burn down a house on Beach Plain Road in Danville on Feb. 23, 2011, to get revenge against two brothers following a drug deal gone awry, according to prosecutors.
Ryan Sawyer, 20, of Kingston and Ryan Reed, 20, of Sandown also pleaded guilty to charges in connection with the case.
The trio used Molotov cocktails and burned a small area of the front garage, but neither of the men they had a dispute with lived at the home, according to prosecutors.
Balamotis was also indicted on a charge of second-degree assault months later for striking a man over the head with a bottle during a house party on March 5.
Prosecutors say Balamotis was at a Kingston apartment building when another tenant came home and passed him in the hall.
Balamotis struck the man from behind, landing the bottle on the victim's head and face causing facial lacerations, according to Assistant County Attorney Howard Helrich.
“There was absolutely no reason for the assault,” Helrich said.
The victim may have mentioned that someone had taken his parking space when he walked by, according to Helrich.
Balamotis, who was free on bail, was taken into custody following his plea and sentencing hearing on Friday. Had Balamotis been convicted at trial, he could have faced up to 7½ to 15 years in state prison. He was ordered to pay restitution to victims in both cases.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newmarket man indicted on sex assault counts - 0
- Bail set at $2,000 for man accused of $1,950 check forgery - 0
- Vandal slashes holiday display but cannot deflate Christmas spirit - 0
- Mistrial declared in Keene cold-case murder trial - 0
- Grantham man gets prison in shooting death of wife - 0
- Rockingham County attorney suspension continues amid probe - 1
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424