Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Ross' 4 RBIs pace Sox past Rays
Cody Ross launched a solo homer and drove in four runs and Felix Doubront tossed 5 2/3 solid innings as visiting Boston posted its sixth win in seven outings, 5-3, over the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday.
Marlon Byrd went deep for the first time as a member of the Red Sox in the second inning. He lined a 3-2 fastball from Matt Moore (1-4) into the seats in left field before sprinting around the bases.
Ross followed suit in the third inning as he deposited a fastball over the wall in straightaway center field for his seventh homer. Ross, who drew a bases-loaded walk in the first inning, capped the scoring with a two-run single in the eighth to give him 12 RBIs in six games versus the Rays this season.
Doubront (4-1) started strong before yielding RBI singles to Jeff Keppinger and Rich Thompson, whose run-scoring hit in the fourth inning was the first of his major-league career.
Doubront allowed two runs - one earned - and six hits while striking out seven. Four relievers bridged the gap to Alfredo Aceves, who got the final four outs to record his eighth save.
Moore permitted three runs on five hits and struck out eight in defeat.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Tampa Bay's Will Rhymes presented the lineup card prior to the contest. Rhymes collapsed and passed out on the field on Wednesday after he was struck on the right forearm by a pitch. He did not play on Thursday. ... Boston's Adrian Gonzalez nearly made good on his promise to hit a home run. He launched a shot down the right-field line which sailed foul. Gonzalez struck out on the next pitch. ... Boston's Mike Aviles was ejected after arguing balls and strikes. It was his first career ejection. ... Tampa Bay's Carlos Pena didn't have a joyous 34th birthday - he struck out three times.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2 - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Bard tough to watch, tough to root against - 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
- Blue Jays homers hammer Red Sox - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: This is Lester's team now - 0
- Red Sox can't get any relief as Lind's homer wins it for Jays - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 5
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 11
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 16
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 7
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 3
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Memorial Day Observances 2013