Ranaudo, Sea Dogs make first trip to NH
When the Portland Sea Dogs make their way to Northeast Delta Dental Stadium tonight for the first of a four-game set with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, Granite Staters will be faced with the same dilemma they face year in and year out.
Whom do they root for? The Sea Dogs, of course, are the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, but the Fisher Cats hold a special place in the hearts of New Hampshire residents, particularly Manchester natives.
“I thought last year was great,” said Fisher Cats manager Sal Fasano. “Even when Portland came in, our fans were out there and being supportive of us.”
Fisher Cats fans will get their first look at top-ranked pitching prospect Anthony Ranaudo (0-0, 9.00), who will take the mound for the Sea Dogs tonight, opposed by southpaw Brett Cecil (1-2, 5.06).
Cecil is 26-22 lifetime with the Toronto Blue Jays.
The 2010 first-rounder brings a great deal of expectations to the mound with him. The six-foot-seven righty is projected to develop into a top of the rotation starter in the major leagues.
“Whatever the case is, whether they’re Boston fans or whether they’re Fisher Cat fans, you’re going to see these guys in the big leagues,” said Fasano.
Another name to keep an eye on is Bryce Brentz, another first rounder. The 23-year-old ranks as one of the highest outfield prospects in Boston’s farm system and tore up the South Atlantic League in 2011 playing for the Greenville Drive.
First pitch is scheduled for 7:05.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 6
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840