Home » News » Public Safety
Injured hiker rescued on Mount Major
ALTON — A 12-year-old boy and his uncle were rescued Friday after a falling down a 30-foot rock face on Mount Major, according to Fish and Game Conservation Officer Ronald Arsenault.
Andrew Sosidka of Brick, N.J., was hiking on the mountain about 4 p.m. Friday when he slipped and tumbled down the rock face, likely breaking an ankle, Arsenault said. His uncle, Dave Sosidka, 46, of Clinton, N.J., tried to climb down to the boy, but also fell, likely suffering broken ribs, Arsenault said.
The pair were carried off the mountain after a nearly four-hour search involving about 30 rescuers from area fire departments, Arsenault said.
He said the boy and his uncle were wearing sneakers, rather than hiking boots.
“We would like to stress the importance of wearing proper gear when on a hike,” Arsenault said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072