Home » News » Public Safety
Springfield man injured as dump truck overturns in Grantham
GRANTHAM - A Springfield man suffered numerous injuries Saturday when his dump truck went off Interstate 89 and overturned, trapping him inside while fuel and smoke spewed from the vehicle, state police said.
Police said Leo Putnam, 74, was heading south on the interstate about 9:30 a.m. Saturday when a tire blew. The dump truck swerved off the road onto an embankment and overturned, police said.
A state trooper used an axe to smash the windshield to rescue Putnam, police said.
Police said Putnam suffered several broken bones, but no life-threatening injuries. He was flown to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center for treatment.
The state Department of Environmental Services was notified of the fuel spill, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police warn of holiday pitfalls - 0
- Halogen lamp causes Somersworth house fire - 0
- Dover enacts emergency parking ban for Friday - 0
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Beltran, Yankees make it official
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072