Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters rescue dog that fell off cliff
PORTSMOUTH -- Knowing that the victim had fallen 30 feet of a cliff onto a rocky outcropping below, Portsmouth firefighters weren't sure what injuries they would encounter once they reached him.
The fact that all the victim could do was bark at them didn't help.
Portsmouth fire crews had a memorable rescue this Memorial Day weekend, after successfully reuniting with its owners a dog that fell 30 feet off a cliff on Peirce Island Sunday evening.
“It's not something we do every day, that's for sure,” said Portsmouth Fire Capt. Mike Hogan.
Hogan said the dog's owners called around 6:38 p.m. Sunday to report their dog, a Labrador mix, had fallen off one of the rocky cliffs along Peirce Island.
A Portsmouth firefighter entered the water and swam to the dog, and slowly approached it and securely attach himself to it. The firefighter (who Hogan did not identify) and dog then paddled together 75 feet down shore until a boat could safely reach them both.
The dog was later reunited with its owners.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty