Home » Opinion » Editorials
Outreach is overreach: Disgraceful time for House
New Hampshire House Speaker Bill O’Brien’s staff chief attempts to make a distinction that has no difference in his defense of okaying taxpayer-funded mileage vouchers for ousted House employee Robert Mead.
Mead left his job as “director of legislative outreach” after a Concord Monitor story reported that he was using his time to recruit Republicans to run for the House.
Speaker staff chief Greg Moore says he knew only that Mead was doing “Republican outreach.”
Oh, that clears it up.
But O’Brien now has bigger problems. His Majority Leader, D.J. Bettencourt, has resigned in disgrace after lying about his supposed law degree. While it is unclear just what the Speaker knew about this fiasco and when, he might do his party and the House a favor by reflecting on his own future as a leader.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Exeter teachers were kids' favorites - 6
- Jury overrules panel, awards malpractice verdict in son's death - 21
- Judge continues case against Keene parking meter 'Robin Hoods' - 35
- Teen told no fish story: He's the official derby winner - 0
- Pembroke man's family stunned by his shooting by Manchester police - 0
- New Conway library director coming from Manchester - 0
- Updated: Old Epping cemetery disturbed - 0
- Naturalization ceremony welcomes 26 new Americans - 1
- Pinkerton students pause to remember Lt. Paul DeMeo - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off