Home » Opinion » Editorials
Outreach is overreach: Disgraceful time for House
New Hampshire House Speaker Bill O’Brien’s staff chief attempts to make a distinction that has no difference in his defense of okaying taxpayer-funded mileage vouchers for ousted House employee Robert Mead.
Mead left his job as “director of legislative outreach” after a Concord Monitor story reported that he was using his time to recruit Republicans to run for the House.
Speaker staff chief Greg Moore says he knew only that Mead was doing “Republican outreach.”
Oh, that clears it up.
But O’Brien now has bigger problems. His Majority Leader, D.J. Bettencourt, has resigned in disgrace after lying about his supposed law degree. While it is unclear just what the Speaker knew about this fiasco and when, he might do his party and the House a favor by reflecting on his own future as a leader.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
- Railway company proposing Montreal to Portland service through northern NH - 19
- Exeter theater group suspends campaign to save Ioka - 0
- Stained-glass windows get new look at Tucker Free Library in Henniker - 0
- State Supreme Court overturns termination of father’s parental rights - 8
- Communication director appointed for Manchester Diocese - 0
- 'Everything flows' from 1st Amendment - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans