Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Tigers' bats awaken as they salvage series finale with Sox
BOSTON -- Miguel Cabrera ripped an RBI single in the fifth inning to snap a tie and Max Scherzer overcame a sluggish start to pitch six solid frames as visiting Detroit salvaged the finale of the four-game series with a 7-3 win.
Prince Fielder extended his hitting streak to eight games with an RBI single to highlight a three-run third inning. Fielder had an RBI triple and Delmon Young added a solo homer in the eighth inning and an RBI single in the ninth to pull away.
After collecting four hits during Wednesday's 6-4 loss, Cabrera ripped a fastball from Josh Beckett (4-5) just under the pitcher's glove and into center field. Quintin Berry, who matched Young with three hits, scored for the second time in the contest to give Detroit a 4-3 lead.
Scherzer (5-3) allowed three runs and seven hits and struck out six to pick up the victory. Phil Coke and Joaquin Benoit bridged the gap to Jose Valverde, who retired the side in the ninth inning in a non-save situation.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia belted a solo homer and drove in two and Scott Podsednik had an RBI double for the Red Sox, who fell for the first time in eight home games versus Detroit.
Beckett yielded four runs on a season-high 10 hits in seven innings to take the loss.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's Adrian Gonzalez saw his 10-game hitting streak come to an end after an 0-for-4 performance ... Detroit catcher Alex Avila extended his hitting streak to seven games with a double in the second inning. Avila left the game in the third after a foul ball blasted his mask, causing a cut on the bridge of his nose ... Six of Saltalamacchia's 10 homers have come in May ... Boston will travel north of the border to begin a three-game series versus AL East rival Toronto on Friday ... Detroit will host the New York Yankees for a three-game set on Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Cannan race offers $5,000 for first-place finisher - 0
- Ragan tops NASCAR Goliaths at Talladega - 0
- NASCAR upholds Penske penalties - 0
- NASCAR Sprint Cup: Harvick late move wins Richmond - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Thunder Road plays host to ACT race - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified back at Monadnock - 0
- Kyle Busch completes Texas two-step with win in NRA 500 - 0
- Jimmie Johnson dominates at Martinsville - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified Series kicks off season - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?