Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Tigers' bats awaken as they salvage series finale with Sox
BOSTON -- Miguel Cabrera ripped an RBI single in the fifth inning to snap a tie and Max Scherzer overcame a sluggish start to pitch six solid frames as visiting Detroit salvaged the finale of the four-game series with a 7-3 win.
Prince Fielder extended his hitting streak to eight games with an RBI single to highlight a three-run third inning. Fielder had an RBI triple and Delmon Young added a solo homer in the eighth inning and an RBI single in the ninth to pull away.
After collecting four hits during Wednesday's 6-4 loss, Cabrera ripped a fastball from Josh Beckett (4-5) just under the pitcher's glove and into center field. Quintin Berry, who matched Young with three hits, scored for the second time in the contest to give Detroit a 4-3 lead.
Scherzer (5-3) allowed three runs and seven hits and struck out six to pick up the victory. Phil Coke and Joaquin Benoit bridged the gap to Jose Valverde, who retired the side in the ninth inning in a non-save situation.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia belted a solo homer and drove in two and Scott Podsednik had an RBI double for the Red Sox, who fell for the first time in eight home games versus Detroit.
Beckett yielded four runs on a season-high 10 hits in seven innings to take the loss.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston's Adrian Gonzalez saw his 10-game hitting streak come to an end after an 0-for-4 performance ... Detroit catcher Alex Avila extended his hitting streak to seven games with a double in the second inning. Avila left the game in the third after a foul ball blasted his mask, causing a cut on the bridge of his nose ... Six of Saltalamacchia's 10 homers have come in May ... Boston will travel north of the border to begin a three-game series versus AL East rival Toronto on Friday ... Detroit will host the New York Yankees for a three-game set on Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Dunn homer paces White Sox over Red Sox - 0
- Red Sox outlast Twins, lengthy rain delay - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2 - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Bard tough to watch, tough to root against - 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 1
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 3
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 13
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 32
License revocations for DWI announced