Radio DJ will spend 5 days in dog crate
MANCHESTER — Scorch, the afternoon radio personality at Rock 101, will cram himself into a dog cage for five days starting Monday in an effort to raise money and awareness for the Manchester Animal Shelter.
Scorch said he will be in the cage for all but 10 minutes each day, which will allow him to relieve himself.
“Honestly, there’s no fun part about doing this,” he said. “There’s nothing fun about being in a cage watching the world go by.” Scorch will broadcast his afternoon show on WGIR-Rock 101 throughout the week.
This will be the fifth year in a row that the radio jock will haul his 5-foot, 9-inch, 160-pound body into a cage sized for a golden retriever. The cage will remain in front of the Verizon Wireless Arena as part of the Paws for a Cause fundraiser.
The week will feature performances of live acoustic bands and demonstrations such as dog training. Sib Hashian, the drummer from former rock band Boston, will participate in the Monday afternoon kickoff.
“Scorch’s love for animals and his determination to promote awareness throughout the years amazes us all,” said Shelter Manager Shelley Greenglass.
In previous years, he has raised between $15,000 and $17,000. He said he’s endured all types of weather.
Scorch said he doesn’t eat or sleep a lot in the cage. “A lot of times, I go crazy.”
The owner of a malamute and husky, Scorch said he makes the effort because he is an animal lover.
“Animals deserve it,” he said, “more than a lot of people do.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 0
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial replica wall on display - 0
- Obama limits drone strikes in shift from constant war footing - 0
- House votes on minimum wage, lobsters, bar hours - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 0
- NH Senate removes student IDs as indisputable ID for voting - 0
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 0
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 1
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
- Should adultery remain a crime under U.S. military law?
- Total Votes: 641