Home » News » Public Safety
Fires cause damage in 2 city kitchens
MANCHESTER — Cooking-related fires damaged two kitchens less than two hours apart Saturday, authorities said.
Grease from cooking spilled on the floor and stove, setting both surfaces on fire in a third-floor apartment at 744 Valley St., according to District Fire Chief Mike Gamache. The fire, reported around 3:45 p.m., caused a couple thousand dollars worth of damage, he said.
The second fire, reported just before 5:30 p.m., required the firefighters to rescue a cat from a smoky home at 96 Mystic St. after the family was able to evacuate other dogs and cats.
A man “left a cutting board on the stove and someone turned the stove on to make dinner,” Gamache said.
The accidental fire damaged the kitchen near the stove and caused smoke damage throughout the house, said Gamache, who estimated the damage around $3,000.
No injuries were reported in either fire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
- Two hurt in Epping crash involving bus, five other vehicles - 0
- New Boston man killed in fiery Mont Vernon crash - 0
- Man suffers serious burns in Plaistow house fire - 0
- Fire in Claremont Middle School of 'suspicious' origin - 0
- Construction of temporary bridge in Francestown set to start this month - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
- UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice' - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- NH troopers help Boston victims - 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- New president named at FIRST - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
Berlin man dies while kayaking