Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Nationals' young stars lead Washington over the Red Sox, 7-4
BOSTON -- Bryce Harper homered and drove in three runs while Stephen Strasburg matched a season high with 13 strikeouts to lead the Washington Nationals to a 7-4 opening victory over the Boston Red Sox in the interleague series.
Ian Desmond doubled in a pair and Danny Espinosa added an RBI and two runs scored for the Nationals.
Boston has dropped three of its last four to fall back to .500 at 29-29.
Harper sparked a three-run rally in the third with a double, sending Espinosa to third. Ryan Zimmerman followed with an RBI single and Desmond capped the spurt with a two-run double, giving Washington a 3-2 lead.
Harper highlighted another three-run rally in the fourth, driving a 1-1 fastball to the deepest part of the ballpark, just to the right of the 420-foot sign in center field, for his sixth homer. The 19-year old finished a triple shy of the cycle in his Fenway Park debut.
Strasburg (7-1) allowed two runs in the second inning but shut down the Red Sox the rest of the way, allowing four hits while walking a pair in six innings.
Boston loaded the bases in the sixth but Strasburg struck out Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Kevin Youkilis to end the threat.
Tyler Clippard got the final two outs for his sixth save.
Felix Doubront (6-3) took the brunt of the damage for the Red Sox, allowing six runs and eight hits in four innings.
- - - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston slugger Adrian Gonzalez hit his 200th career home run in the eighth, driving a blast to deep center field off Nationals reliever Ross Detwiler. ... Youkilis was ejected for arguing the called strike call to end the sixth inning. ... Gonzalez was robbed of a solo homer run in the third inning, when Washington RF Xavier Nady reached into the bullpen and pulled the ball back. ... Boston RH Daisuke Matsuzaka will make his season debut on Saturday, one day short of the one-year anniversary of his Tommy John surgery. The Nationals will counter with LH Gio Gonzalez.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 21
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
- Londonderry sophomore has a passion for the past - 0
- Students take part in seminar on privacy at Nashua North - 0
- Londonderry kids learn while doing on Toga Tuesday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released