Home » News » Public Safety
Police say suspicious object was geocaching device
MANCHESTER — State Police bomb experts discovered the object suspected to be a bomb was a device used in the electronic scavenger hunting game known as Geocaching, police said.
State Police bomb experts attempted to detonate the device about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday. When it didn't explode, they went in to examine it and found it to be a geocache container, Manchester Police Sgt. John Patti said.
Geocaching is a "real-world outdoor treasure hunting game based on GPS-enabled devices," according to geocaching.com. Participants register online then follow a specific set of coordinates to locate the geocache container.
Someone walking in the area reported seeing the object perched on a guard rail at the Edward J. Roy Drive about 6 p.m. and called police.
Manchester police arrived and, using a robot, detected what appeared to be a detonation cord or fuse hanging from the object, Patti said.
The State Police bomb squad was called in to detonate the object.
- - - - - - - -
Kathryn Marchocki may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions