Home » News » Public Safety
Overdue hiker found after overnight stay in Whites
Rescue crews on Monday found a Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate student in good condition after the student spent a night missing in the White Mountain National Forest.
Vinoth Naudakumar, 22, of New South Wales, Australia, is an inexperienced hiker who went hiking with his friend, Yuval Kochman, of Boston on Sunday, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said.
Kochman left Naudakumar because Kochman thought his friend was hiking too slow, Fish and Game said. When Kochman returned to his car at the end of the day, Naudakumar wasn’t there. Kochman returned to Boston where he reported Naudakumar overdue from the hike late Sunday night, Fish and Game said.
Fish and Game organized search parties at the Appalachian Mountain Club Pinkham Notch Visitors Center early Monday morning. Search teams checked trails where Naudakumar was last seen. One team followed footprints leading to drainage from the Avalanche Ski Trail and found Naudakumar. He was cut and bruised but in good condition, Fish and Game said. Naudakumar had food and water, but no compass, map, head lamp or proper clothing for an unexpected overnight stay, Fish and Game said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police warn of holiday pitfalls - 0
- Halogen lamp causes Somersworth house fire - 0
- Dover enacts emergency parking ban for Friday - 0
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- Family trying to recover from fire 2 weeks before Christmas - 0
- Derry police add a new officer to the department - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Ice storm threatens the region
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072