Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Giants' Cain tosses perfect game against Astros
SAN FRANCISCO -- Matt Cain pitched the first perfect game in the 128-year history of the Giants' franchise, striking out a career-high 14 in a 10-0 rout of the visiting Houston Astros.
Cain (8-2) threw 86 of his 125 pitches for strikes and retired Jason Castro on a ground ball to third base for the final out to record the 22nd perfect game in major league history.
Gregor Blanco made the defensive play of the game when he made a diving catch at the warning track in right-center field on Jordan Schafer's liner to lead off the seventh inning.
Cain, who barely missed a perfect game in April when he threw a complete game one-hitter against Pittsburgh, tied Sandy Koufax for the most strikeouts in a perfect game.
It was the second perfect game in the majors this season. Philip Humber of the Chicago White Sox had one against Seattle on April 21.
Melky Cabrera gave the Giants an early lead with a two-run blast in the first off J.A. Happ (4-7), who gave up eight runs on 11 hits over 3 1/3 innings.
Brandon Belt hit a two-run homer in the second, and the Giants added to their lead with two runs in the third and one in the fourth.
Blanco added a two-run blast in the fifth, giving the Giants three homers in a home game for the first time since Sept. 12, 2011.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Cain entered the game with a career record of 1-3 with a 4.93 ERA in six starts against the Astros. … The Giants have won each of Cain's last eight starts. ...San Francisco has won seven of the last nine home games against the Astros. … The Astros have scored four total runs in Happ's last four starts. ….Belt homered for the second straight game.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 2
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 1
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl