Remaining portion of Conway family lawsuit is dropped
MANCHESTER — The Conway family has dropped the remaining portion of a lawsuit it filed last year against Manchester schools and school officials over supposed bullying and retaliation directed against their two daughters.
The Conway decision ends claims against the sole remaining defendant, former Board of School Committee member Joe Briggs, according to Briggs’ lawyer, Joe Kelly Levasseur.
“There’s nothing there; there never was anything there,” said Briggs, who resigned his seat late last year and moved to Georgia.
A telephone message and e-mail left with John P. Sherman, the Portsmouth lawyer representing Michael and Constantina Conway, was not returned Monday.
Last year, a Hillsborough County Superior Court judge had thrown out most of the Conway suit. The couple had claimed that their daughters, star track athletes at Central High School, were subject to bullying and retaliation after the parents complained about girls’ track coach Kelly Fox.
The judge allowed the suit to proceed against Briggs, whom the Conways claim defamed them during a school board meeting.
“My understanding is they just didn’t want to go forward,” Levasseur said on Monday. The Manchester lawyer, who is also an at-large alderman, had called for a hearing under a state law that allows for an elected official to collect legal fees if a judge determines a claim against an official lacks merit.
The hearing had been scheduled for later this month.
The Manchester school district has agreed to pay Briggs’ legal bills. Levasseur said he will bill the district $13,500, but accept $12,000 if the bill is paid in 10 days.
Briggs said he did suffer some costs. The case weighed on him mentally and emotionally. And he disclosed the suit when he applied for a mortgage, which meant a higher interest rate.
Briggs said he requested his company to transfer him to Georgia so his children could get a better education.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 0
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 24
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 3
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Volunteers sought for discipline committees
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383