Home » News » Public Safety
Homeless man rescued after fall into Merrimack River
MANCHESTER — A homeless man suffered serious injuries Wednesday when he tripped on a root while heading to the banks of the Merrimack River, prompting a river rescue, District Fire Chief Al Poulin said.
James Buccan, 54, was going down an embankment near the on ramp of exit 5 of Interstate 293 toward the river to bathe about 1 p.m. Wednesday when he fell, Poulin said. Buccan hit his head, cutting it, and ended up in the river about 3 inches deep. Poulin said Buccan told rescuers that he and his wife lived in a tent near the river.
Poulin said rescuers used a stokes basket to get Buccan onto a rescue boat, rather than try to carry him up the embankment to the highway. The rescue took about 15 minutes, he said.
Buccan was taken across the river to a boat ramp near the New Hampshire Fisher Cats baseball stadium, where an ambulance was waiting to take him to Catholic Medical Center for treatment, Poulin said.
Poulin said Buccan suffered a serious head injury and could not feel his extremities after the fall.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 6
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 153
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 2
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Russian national indicted over phony debit, credit cards - 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 29
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
Manipulating NH: Bloomberg and the terrorist
House and Senate reach budget accord
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off