PLAISTOW — Two dogs were rescued from a smoke-filled house Wednesday after a fire broke out inside a combined heating and air-conditioning unit.
Firefighters responded to the home at 47 Pollard Road around 10:15 a.m. after a neighbor discovered the fire.
Fire Chief John McArdle said the neighbor gained access to the house, which was filled with smoke. One of the dogs was able to get out and a second was rescued by McArdle after the smoke began to clear.
McArdle said the fire began in a heating and air-conditioning unit in the basement and was contained inside duct work. The fire caused no significant damage, he said.
The unit was operating to keep the house cool, but McArdle said he’s not sure what caused it to malfunction and spark the fire.
With the arrival of summer heat Wednesday, McArdle urged homeowners to make sure their air conditioners are properly maintained to avoid problems.
“These things have filters on them, and they do require periodic maintenance,” he said. “If you haven’t had it maintained in a couple of years you should have them checked.”
Mutual aid was called in from several towns. No firefighters suffered heat exhaustion despite Wednesday’s high temperatures, McArdle said.
- - - - - - - -
Jason Schreiber may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.