Home » News » Public Safety
Air conditioner causes fire; two dogs rescued
PLAISTOW — Two dogs were rescued from a smoke-filled house Wednesday after a fire broke out inside a combined heating and air-conditioning unit.
Firefighters responded to the home at 47 Pollard Road around 10:15 a.m. after a neighbor discovered the fire.
Fire Chief John McArdle said the neighbor gained access to the house, which was filled with smoke. One of the dogs was able to get out and a second was rescued by McArdle after the smoke began to clear.
McArdle said the fire began in a heating and air-conditioning unit in the basement and was contained inside duct work. The fire caused no significant damage, he said.
The unit was operating to keep the house cool, but McArdle said he’s not sure what caused it to malfunction and spark the fire.
With the arrival of summer heat Wednesday, McArdle urged homeowners to make sure their air conditioners are properly maintained to avoid problems.
“These things have filters on them, and they do require periodic maintenance,” he said. “If you haven’t had it maintained in a couple of years you should have them checked.”
Mutual aid was called in from several towns. No firefighters suffered heat exhaustion despite Wednesday’s high temperatures, McArdle said.
- - - - - - - -
Jason Schreiber may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 14
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time