Home » News » Public Safety
Rabid raccoon caught after tangling with dog in Pelham
PELHAM — A raccoon captured in Pelham has tested positive for rabies.
Animal Control sent the raccoon to the state laboratory for testing after it was involved in an altercation with a dog on Township Road. The dog’s owner was able to bring it inside before calling Animal Control.
Rabies is a potentially fatal virus that infects the central nervous system. It can be spread through a bite from an infected animal. Wild animals, including raccoons, skunks, and bats account for the majority of animal rabies cases reported annually in this country.
Residents should avoid contact with wildlife or stray animals and call Animal Control immediately if an animal is observed acting strangely. If a pet is involved in a fight with a strange animal, wear waterproof gloves while handling the pet and call a veterinarian.
Anyone bitten or scratched by an animal that may be rabid should wash the wound with soap and water and call a doctor immediately.
For questions about an animal’s health, public safety, or to report an animal-related bite or exposure contact the Pelham Police Animal Control Officer at 635-2411.
- - - - - - - -
Julie Hanson may be reached at Jhanson@newstote.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 0
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 0
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
- Man burned in North Hampton camper fire - 2
- Lost teen hikers found safe in Brookline - 0
- Manchester woman injured in fall from back of motorcycle - 0
- Motorcyclist arrested for driving up to 152 mph - 32
- One hurt, one charged in ATV accident - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Storms knock out power to about 3,600 PSNH customers - 0
- Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious - 0
- American Medical Response back in good graces of key Manchester officials - 0
- Lebanon’s Colette Schmidt captures N.E. girls’ golf tourney crown - 0
- Sixteen make cut at State Am qualifying - 0
- Granite Stater Matt Bonner in position for another NBA title - 0
- Clippers, Celtics resume talks on Doc, Garnett deal - 0
- Hampton man indicted for distributing child porn - 0
- Mother of drowned baby gets prison time - 0
Epping man’s hope for working van realized
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
Traffic stops in spotlight
One era ends, another begins at Union Leader
A Medicaid reduction? That is not likely
Study recommends Millyard parking garage