NEW BOSTON - A box fan that fell over caused a two-alarm blaze Tuesday morning in a restored colonial home on Clark Hill Road.
Fire Chief Dan MacDonald said the owner of the 244 Clark Hill Road home called 911 after smelling smoke about 4:30 a.m.
When the first fire crews arrived, thick black smoke was billowing out the rear of a second floor addition.
Firefighters had a hard time locating the fire in that area, however, and MacDonald sent a second crew into the front of the home in search of the source. It turned out, a box fan had fallen over onto an oriental rug in the front room on the first floor, starting a fire.
Flames were minimal but the amount of smoke given off was heavy and black. It flowed up a front stairwell to the second floor and out an open window.
"It kind of threw us off for a minute," MacDonald said.
A second alarm was sounded bringing help from seven surrounding communities. About 40 firefighters were at the scene.
MacDonald said flames damaged only a small oriental rug in the front room but the oily, black smoke caused extensive damage to the entire house.
"The amount of smoke given off by this little fan was unbelievable," he said.