Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Blue Jays beat soggy Sox, 9-6
Jose Bautista belted his league-best 24th home run of the season, one of three Toronto homers in a wild win over host Boston.
The victory was tempered by an injury to Toronto starter Henderson Alvarez (4-6), who was forced out of the game in the sixth inning with right elbow soreness.
The team announced that the right-hander was removed as a precaution after appearing to tweak something on a pitch to Adrian Gonzalez. Toronto jumped in front for good in the sixth inning.
After Ben Francisco reached on a two-out double, J.P. Arencibia launched a change-up from Felix Doubront (8-4) off a sign hanging over the top of the Green Monster in left field for his first home run since May 27.
Bautista struck an inning later, belting a line-drive shot that just cleared the Monster for his 12th home run in June, the most in the majors in that span and tying a career high for one month. When play resumed following a 1-hour, 56-minute rain delay, David Ortiz trimmed the deficit to 9-6 with his second home run of the night.
That was as close as the Red Sox would get, as they fell short in their first game since trading long-time third baseman Kevin Youkilis to the Chicago White Sox. Henderson surrendered five runs - three earned
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fergus Cullen: The Christmas card many of us wish we could send - 0
- Ben Dick: Teachers had good reason to reject Manchester contract offer - 16
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare: Silence of the insurers - 3
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 47
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 2
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass