Killam tops Shafer to reach state Junior Am final
Matthew Killam, of Newport Golf Club, watches his 14th hole tee drive during his NHGA Junior Championship Championship Flight quarterfinal match against Connor Greenleaf, of Windham Country Club, Tuesday morning at Campbell's Scottish Highlands Golf Course in Salem. Killam defeated Greenleaf 1 up to advance to the semifinals. (JOSH GIBNEY/UNION LEADER)
Kevin Gray's Gray Matter: Barrett just keeps winning
SALEM — Matthew Killam needed two extra holes to advance in the first round, and he kept knocking down shots until reaching the final of the 2012 New Hampshire Golf Association Junior Championship at Campbell's Scottish Highlands Golf Club.
Killam, representing Newport Golf Club, faces Chelso Barrett of Bretwood Golf Club in Keene in today's 18-hole match play final. Killam opened bracket play by edging Ethan Aube of Candia Woods Golf Links, 1-up, on Tuesday and proceeded to win two more 9-hole matches.
In the quarterfinals, Killam beat Connor Greenleaf of Windham County Club, 1-up, and then advanced to the final with a 3-and-2 defeat of Sam Shafer from Cochecho Country Club of Dover.
Barrett took medalist honors on Monday, firing a three-under-par 68. Killam has been steady throughout the tourney, opening the NHGA Junior Championship with a 74.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats, Tepera fall to SeaWolves - 0
- Fisher Cats cancelled - 0
- Rober Brown's On Baseball: Fisher Cats' Jimenez back on track - 0
- Fisher Cats score 5 in the 9th to beat Aeros - 0
- After rain, Aeros pour it on against Fisher Cats - 0
- Roger Brown's On Baseball: Fisher Cats' Ryan Schimpf turning on the power - 0
- Familiar foes on tap for Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats gain sweep in Erie - 0
- Fisher Cats lose despite Nolan's HR - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 8
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 6
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?