Home » News » Public Safety
Badly burned driver found in Windham
A Massachusetts motorist suffered serious burns over most of his body while pulled over at the Interstate-93 weigh station in Windham on Wednesday night.
Mark Vivier, 39, of Methuen, Mass. suffered second- and third-degree burns over 80 percent of his body, state police and a Windham fire official said. He was airlifted to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
State police and the state Fire Marshal's office are investigating the incident, which initially was reported at 5:26 p.m. as a car fire at the weigh station, located on I-93 southbound just north of Exit 3, Windham Fire Lt. Scott Delaney said.
Trooper Sean Harrington arrived to find a 2012 Mazda A6 engulfed in flames and a man on fire lying on the ground near the passenger side of the car, state police said. A passerby was helping Vivier put out the flames. Vivier was pulleed from the vehicle and given first aid. The car was destroyed.
It's not known why Vivier pulled into the weigh station after operating hours, Delaney said. State police ask anyone with information to contact Trooper Harrington at 223-4381.
- - - - - - - -
Kathryn Marchocki may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 1
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 26
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time