Home » News » Public Safety
Officer on leave after domestic dispute arrest
NEW DURHAM — A local police officer was placed on leave after being arrested following a domestic dispute with his wife in Rochester earlier this month.
Christopher Chesley, 29, of Rochester, was charged with three counts of simple assault, stemming from two incidents at his home, in April and June, where he allegedly grabbed his wife’s arm, caused her to fall and pushed her, according to court records.
Following the first alleged incident, his wife, Jennifer, applied for and received a domestic violence protection order against Chesley April 8, according to court records.
After being arrested June 16, Chesley entered a plea of not guilty during his arraignment on Monday in Rochester District Court. He was released on $1,500 personal recognizance with the conditions not to contact the woman, not to go within 100 yards of her, except when visiting their children, and not to possess any firearms or weapons.
Simple assault is a Class A Misdemeanor and each count could result in a maximum penalty of a year in jail and up to a $1,200 fine. The trial is scheduled for Sept. 10 at 1 p.m. in Rochester.
Police Chief Shawn Bernier said Chesley, who has served as an officer for the past five years, is “out on leave” pending an administrative review with the department. As it is a personnel issue, he could not provide further details.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 101
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time