Home » News » Public Safety
Officer on leave after domestic dispute arrest
NEW DURHAM — A local police officer was placed on leave after being arrested following a domestic dispute with his wife in Rochester earlier this month.
Christopher Chesley, 29, of Rochester, was charged with three counts of simple assault, stemming from two incidents at his home, in April and June, where he allegedly grabbed his wife’s arm, caused her to fall and pushed her, according to court records.
Following the first alleged incident, his wife, Jennifer, applied for and received a domestic violence protection order against Chesley April 8, according to court records.
After being arrested June 16, Chesley entered a plea of not guilty during his arraignment on Monday in Rochester District Court. He was released on $1,500 personal recognizance with the conditions not to contact the woman, not to go within 100 yards of her, except when visiting their children, and not to possess any firearms or weapons.
Simple assault is a Class A Misdemeanor and each count could result in a maximum penalty of a year in jail and up to a $1,200 fine. The trial is scheduled for Sept. 10 at 1 p.m. in Rochester.
Police Chief Shawn Bernier said Chesley, who has served as an officer for the past five years, is “out on leave” pending an administrative review with the department. As it is a personnel issue, he could not provide further details.
- - - - - - - -
John Quinn may be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
- Amtrak suspends New York-Boston service after two trains collide in Conn.; up to 60 hurt - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
- Firefighters say casino revenue needed for 'public safety' - 7
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 13
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 1
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack