May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
April 18, 2013
Manchester man accused of choking officer
MANCHESTER - An officer was choked Thursday night by a man he was trying to arrest for assaulting a woman, police said.
Officer Matthew Barter suffered minor injuries to his neck in the 5:30 p.m. incident at Elm and Merrimack streets.
Barter was on patrol when he was flagged down by a man who reported seeing another man repeatedly strike a woman as she walked away from a heated argument.
The witness told police when the man, identified as Eduardo Lages, 24, of 65 Malvern St., saw him on the phone to 911, he started towards him. Just at that moment, however, the witness saw Barter's police cruiser driving nearby and flagged him down.
Barter approached the couple, who by then were sitting on a motorcycle stopped nearby. He asked Lages to dismount but police said he refused.
The officer then tried to get him off the motorcycle but Lages allegedly resisted and fought with him. During the struggle, police said Lages hit Barter and grabbed him by the throat, squeezing so tightly it restricted his airflow.
The officer was able to break free, gain control of Lages and arrest him. Police said Lages continued his belligerent behavior and refused to stop shouting and using profanities.
The assault victim, identified as Jessica Bouchard, 23, of 63 Malvern St., allegedly tried to intervene and threw her sunglasses at another officer, in protest of Lages' arrest. She subsequently was arrested after a brief struggle.
Lages is charged with four counts of simple assault; criminal threatening; second degree assault; resisting detention; resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
Bouchard is charged with simple assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Carroll man sentenced to 63 to 127 years for burglaries - 7
- 43 killers on lifetime parole - but where? - 6
- Portsmouth driver distracted by Facebook hits utility pole - 10
- Robber escapes with drugs from Keene CVS - 0
- Portsmouth police DWI roadblock stops 179 motorists yielding 4 arrests - 1
- Nashua man arrested on charges of sexually assaulting underage girl - 3
- Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges - 0
- Mass. residents charged after Hollis man beaten and stabbed - 11
- Judge gives Salem engineer with underwater mortgage year in jail for growing pot - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters say casino revenue needed for 'public safety' - 7
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 13
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 2
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424