Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Manchester man accused of choking officer
MANCHESTER - An officer was choked Thursday night by a man he was trying to arrest for assaulting a woman, police said.
Officer Matthew Barter suffered minor injuries to his neck in the 5:30 p.m. incident at Elm and Merrimack streets.
Barter was on patrol when he was flagged down by a man who reported seeing another man repeatedly strike a woman as she walked away from a heated argument.
The witness told police when the man, identified as Eduardo Lages, 24, of 65 Malvern St., saw him on the phone to 911, he started towards him. Just at that moment, however, the witness saw Barter's police cruiser driving nearby and flagged him down.
Barter approached the couple, who by then were sitting on a motorcycle stopped nearby. He asked Lages to dismount but police said he refused.
The officer then tried to get him off the motorcycle but Lages allegedly resisted and fought with him. During the struggle, police said Lages hit Barter and grabbed him by the throat, squeezing so tightly it restricted his airflow.
The officer was able to break free, gain control of Lages and arrest him. Police said Lages continued his belligerent behavior and refused to stop shouting and using profanities.
The assault victim, identified as Jessica Bouchard, 23, of 63 Malvern St., allegedly tried to intervene and threw her sunglasses at another officer, in protest of Lages' arrest. She subsequently was arrested after a brief struggle.
Lages is charged with four counts of simple assault; criminal threatening; second degree assault; resisting detention; resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
Bouchard is charged with simple assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Pembroke man pleads guilty to Maine bank robberies - 0
- Former Littleton man sentenced to prison for crash that injured 4 - 1
- Pelham man arrested in theft of jewelry - 0
- UPDATE: Mass. man wanted for targeting victims through online dating site arrested - 4
- Police suspect same man with small bat robbed Bow store, failed in Goffstown try - 0
- Driver was trying to kill himself - 22
- 2 NH men accused of drug trafficking - 0
- Ex-Goffstown teacher indicted on sexual assault charges - 3
- Claremont police identify suspect in three armed robberies - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say drug suspect crashed into Windham cruiser, sheriff's car during bust - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Gregg for the US Senate again? 'Been there, done that,' he says - 0
- New health insurer to enter NH marketplace in 2015 - 1
- Firefighters from 10 communities fight second 3-alarm fire in one day in Loudon - 0
- UPDATE: Lancaster man, 74, killed in head-on Columbia crash - 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 0
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
Driver was trying to kill himself
Big tipper stops for lunch
2 NH men accused of drug trafficking
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424