May 22, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Manchester man accused of choking officer
MANCHESTER - An officer was choked Thursday night by a man he was trying to arrest for assaulting a woman, police said.
Officer Matthew Barter suffered minor injuries to his neck in the 5:30 p.m. incident at Elm and Merrimack streets.
Barter was on patrol when he was flagged down by a man who reported seeing another man repeatedly strike a woman as she walked away from a heated argument.
The witness told police when the man, identified as Eduardo Lages, 24, of 65 Malvern St., saw him on the phone to 911, he started towards him. Just at that moment, however, the witness saw Barter's police cruiser driving nearby and flagged him down.
Barter approached the couple, who by then were sitting on a motorcycle stopped nearby. He asked Lages to dismount but police said he refused.
The officer then tried to get him off the motorcycle but Lages allegedly resisted and fought with him. During the struggle, police said Lages hit Barter and grabbed him by the throat, squeezing so tightly it restricted his airflow.
The officer was able to break free, gain control of Lages and arrest him. Police said Lages continued his belligerent behavior and refused to stop shouting and using profanities.
The assault victim, identified as Jessica Bouchard, 23, of 63 Malvern St., allegedly tried to intervene and threw her sunglasses at another officer, in protest of Lages' arrest. She subsequently was arrested after a brief struggle.
Lages is charged with four counts of simple assault; criminal threatening; second degree assault; resisting detention; resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
Bouchard is charged with simple assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Manchester police seek Food Mart robber - 3
- No arrests in Manchester homicide; single shot to chest killed man - 11
- Jury finds Chester man guilty of sex assault - 1
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Hampton man indicted for Poker Room assault, robbery - 0
- UPDATED: Chester police seek two men in armed home invasion - 1
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Car may have started itself, crashes at Manchester Home Depot - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 7
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Gambling debate begins following frantic lobbying - 6
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 7
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 2
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 16
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424