Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Garnett reportedly gets three-year deal to stay in Boston
Kevin Garnett will return to the Boston Celtics after agreeing to a three-year contract Saturday, according to multiple reports.
The Celtics star will earn $34 million with the new deal, Yahoo!Sports and the Boston Herald reported.
"The decision came down to whether KG wanted to keep playing," a source closed to the negotiations told the Herald. "And once he decided that he did, it was going to be Boston. He wasn't going to leave Doc (Rivers) and those guys and play anywhere else."
Garnett, 36, earned $21 million last season with the Celtics as he averaged 15.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in helping them reach the Eastern Conference finals. He averaged 19.2 points and 10.3 rebounds in the playoffs.
The 17-year veteran was considering retirement after this season. However, he seemed rejuvenated this season when coach Doc Rivers moved him from power forward to center.
With the free-agent negotiating period beginning Sunday, the Celtics' next pressing need is deciding whether to bring back guard Ray Allan and forward Brandon Bass.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics' objective against Knicks: Make it to Friday - 0
- Celtics beat Knicks in OT, force Game 5 - 0
- Knicks push Celtics to the brink - 0
- Another Celts meltdown as Knicks take command of series - 0
- Celts 'point' to Garnett for solutions - 0
- Too much Carmelo as Knicks top Celtics in Game 1 - 0
- C's end regular season on losing note - 0
- Celtics clinch No. 7 seed with easy win over Magic - 0
- Heat's stars get better of Celtics - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 0
- FBI agent kills Florida man with suspected ties to Marathon bombing - 1
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 0
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 9
- Manchester police seek Food Mart robber - 2
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Manchester mayor to oversee economic development office - 1
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 21 - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Manchester police seek Food Mart robber
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs