NH’s Rheault signs deal with Panthers
The Florida Panthers signed former Manchester Monarch and Deering native Jon Rhealt over the weekend.
Panthers general manager Dale Tallon announced on Sunday the team had agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract with the 25-year-old Rheault, a right wing.
Rheault will add some much-needed depth at forward for the Panthers. Last season, he played in 47 games for the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League, recording 16 goals and 33 points for the Calgary affiliate.
As an amateur, Rheault played for the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs, leading to a four-year career at Providence College. He was originally drafted by Flyers in the fifth round (145th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Rheault played for the Manchester Monarchs in 2008-09 and 2009-10 and spent part of the last three seasons with Abbortsford.
“I’m definitely excited for a fresh start in a new organization. I think it’s a great opportunity. It seems like the Panthers know what type of player I am, and I’ll have a good opportunity to make the team,” said Rheault, who has been spending his summer in Deering and also training at the University of Vermont.
Rheault had been weighing a few different contact options but couldn’t turn down the two-way deal with Florida. He will either break fall training camp with the Panthers or the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL.
“It feels like this is the opportunity I’ve been waiting for each year. I’m ready to make that next jump (to the NHL),” said Rheault, whose sisters, Leah and Jenna, attend Hillsboro-Deering and play soccer for the Hillcats. “It was a tough switching organizations, and I really want to thank the organization (Abbotsford) for having me the past two and a half years.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 7
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 11
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 16
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 7
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 3
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Memorial Day Observances 2013
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840