Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Cardinals' Carpenter will have season-ending shoulder surgery
St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter will undergo shoulder surgery and will be out the rest of the season, multiple media outlets reported Tuesday.
Carpenter, who has finished among the top three in the Cy Young Award voting three times and won the award in 2005, has had nerve-related shoulder problems that flared up following his most recent bullpen session.
The operation to alleviate Carpenter's thoracic outlet syndrome was deemed necessary, whether he tried to pitch again this season or not.
Carpenter, who has not pitched for the Cardinals this season, decided to have the procedure performed now to increase his chances of pitching by next February.
A date for the surgery has not been announced.
Carpenter threw a bullpen session on Friday, and he was been scheduled to throw another bullpen session on Monday before the latter was canceled.
Carpenter, 37, is in the first year of a two-year, $21 million contract extension.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH's Locke wins again for Pirates; now 5-1 on year - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Francona can't look back - 0
- Francona's Tribe too much for Sox - 1
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: It’s all baseball now for Tito - 0
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Dunn homer paces White Sox over Red Sox - 0
- Red Sox outlast Twins, lengthy rain delay - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester