Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Ortiz hits No. 400, but A's complete sweep of Sox
OAKLAND -- Brandon Moss homered among three hits and Coco Crisp tripled and scored as host Oakland completed a three-game sweep of Boston with a 3-2 win Wednesday afternoon.
A.J. Griffin pitched six strong innings and Grant Balfour (2-2) got four outs in relief to pick up the win for the Athletics, who have won four in a row overall to pull back within a game of .500 at 41-42.
Oakland's victory spoiled a celebration for Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, who became the 49th player in major-league history to reach 400 homers with a solo blast in the fourth.
Moss and Crisp, who combined to drive in two runs in the ninth in a walk-off win on Tuesday, were at it again on Wednesday. Moss, who came up through the Boston system, hit a solo homer - his 10th - off Aaron Cook (2-2) to give Oakland the lead in the second.
Ortiz's blast tied it and the Red Sox took a 2-1 lead on Adrian Gonzalez's RBI single in the sixth.
But Moss helped get the tying run in the bottom of that frame, when he doubled with one out and came in to score on Brandon Inge's two-out double to right.
Crisp, who won a World Series with Boston in 2007, led off the seventh with a triple to center and scored on Jemile Weeks' single to left.
All-Star Ryan Cook worked the ninth to earn his eighth save.
- - - - - - -
GAME NOTEBOOK: Mauro Gomez got his first start at third base for the Red Sox in place of Will Middlebrooks (hamstring). ... Griffin has allowed two earned runs or less in each of his first three major league starts. ... Moss has hit safely in five straight games and has homered in three of the last four.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats are tripped up by Portland in 10 innings - 0
- Fisher Cats’ win streak snapped by Portland - 0
- Schimpf homers twice, Fisher Cats win in Portland - 0
- Fisher Cats power Stroman to first win at New Britain - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Portland offense rips Fisher Cats - 0
- Fisher Cats walk off with win - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Portland's Michael Almanzar is the Comeback Kid - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Sea Dogs’ Vazquez showing all the tools - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended - 0
- Budget plan presses NH hospitals to join managed care networks - 0
- Students hold ceremony to honor flags - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions