Home » News » Public Safety
Missing Hinsdale kayaker's body recovered
HINSDALE – A missing kayaker was found dead Friday afternoon in the Connecticut River.
Thomas Howell, 57, of Hinsdale was last seen alive around 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, about 100 yards from the boat ramp on Prospect Street where his girlfriend had come to pick him up, N.H. Fish and Game Sgt. David Walsh.
The woman had dropped him off at the boat ramp three hours earlier. When she came to pick him up he was not at the ramp and she could see him swimming about 100 yards away near his kayak.
When she moved closer to his location she found his kayak, but he was missing.
She called 911 immediately and a search for him commenced.
Hinsdale Fire Chief Jay Matuszewski, said the Brattleboro, Vermont, Dive Team, Northfield, Mass., Dive Team and Rescue Incorporated out of Brattleboro, Vermont, joined the search of the Connecticut River.
“They recovered the kayak with no signs of him,” Walsh said.
Around 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, Fish and Game officers took over the search, Matuszewski said. “It was no longer a rescue at that point it became a recovery.”
Walsh said around 11:30 a.m. on Friday Howell's body was recovered in 15 feet of water about 40 yards from where he was last seen.
Walsh said the girlfriend described Howell as a novice kayaker. He was alone and was not wearing a life vest, he said.
The medical examiner's officer has ruled the death a drowning, however, whether alcohol played a factor has yet to be determined, Walsh said.
“We found some alcohol in the kayak. We don't know to what extent, it's under investigation but we believe it was a factor,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 125
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 15
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 11
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?