Home » News » Public Safety
Missing Hinsdale kayaker's body recovered
HINSDALE – A missing kayaker was found dead Friday afternoon in the Connecticut River.
Thomas Howell, 57, of Hinsdale was last seen alive around 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, about 100 yards from the boat ramp on Prospect Street where his girlfriend had come to pick him up, N.H. Fish and Game Sgt. David Walsh.
The woman had dropped him off at the boat ramp three hours earlier. When she came to pick him up he was not at the ramp and she could see him swimming about 100 yards away near his kayak.
When she moved closer to his location she found his kayak, but he was missing.
She called 911 immediately and a search for him commenced.
Hinsdale Fire Chief Jay Matuszewski, said the Brattleboro, Vermont, Dive Team, Northfield, Mass., Dive Team and Rescue Incorporated out of Brattleboro, Vermont, joined the search of the Connecticut River.
“They recovered the kayak with no signs of him,” Walsh said.
Around 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, Fish and Game officers took over the search, Matuszewski said. “It was no longer a rescue at that point it became a recovery.”
Walsh said around 11:30 a.m. on Friday Howell's body was recovered in 15 feet of water about 40 yards from where he was last seen.
Walsh said the girlfriend described Howell as a novice kayaker. He was alone and was not wearing a life vest, he said.
The medical examiner's officer has ruled the death a drowning, however, whether alcohol played a factor has yet to be determined, Walsh said.
“We found some alcohol in the kayak. We don't know to what extent, it's under investigation but we believe it was a factor,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- House kills Hassan-backed casino bill, 199-164 - 13
- Threats at Goffstown High ‘not credible’ - 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs an ounce or under - 7
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 1
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 9
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 3
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs