Manchester Road construction on to next phase in Derry
DERRY — The second phase of the Manchester Road widening project is under way. The overall project is still on schedule to be completed by November, according to Public Works Director Mike Fowler.
Commuters can expect to see a new traffic pattern along Manchester Road during the second phase.
“All traffic is shifted into newly striped lane configurations along the westerly side,” said Fowler. “This will allow the contractor to widen the road and build sidewalks along the easterly side, mostly outside of the traffic, which should help to reduce traffic delays from construction activities.”
Scheduled work for the next one to two weeks includes sidewalk removal between Ashleigh Drive and Tsienneto road, drainage construction at Ashleigh Drive, and gas main relocation between Linlew Drive and Tsienneto Road.
Fowler said motorists should be aware of the new striped lane configuration and the daytime lane shifts to accommodate the roadway widening and drainage construction. He also said motorists should expect minor delays.
The widening of the road is expected to continue to spur economic development in the TIF district that runs northerly on Manchester Road from Ross’ Corner to the Londonderry town line.
The Manchester road project was helped along by mild winter weather and a lower cost than first estimated.
The total project cost is about $5.1 million with the net amount to be bonded of $3.4 million. When the project originated in 2006, it had a projected cost of $6.5 million and authorized bonding of $5.4 million.
In addition to a favorable construction bid from Continental Construction, the project cost was helped by a lower than anticipated bond rate.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2 - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Bard tough to watch, tough to root against - 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
- Blue Jays homers hammer Red Sox - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: This is Lester's team now - 0
- Red Sox can't get any relief as Lind's homer wins it for Jays - 0
- Lester dominates Jays, tossing one-hitter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 7
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
- Should adultery remain a crime under U.S. military law?
- Total Votes: 641