Manchester Road construction on to next phase in Derry
DERRY — The second phase of the Manchester Road widening project is under way. The overall project is still on schedule to be completed by November, according to Public Works Director Mike Fowler.
Commuters can expect to see a new traffic pattern along Manchester Road during the second phase.
“All traffic is shifted into newly striped lane configurations along the westerly side,” said Fowler. “This will allow the contractor to widen the road and build sidewalks along the easterly side, mostly outside of the traffic, which should help to reduce traffic delays from construction activities.”
Scheduled work for the next one to two weeks includes sidewalk removal between Ashleigh Drive and Tsienneto road, drainage construction at Ashleigh Drive, and gas main relocation between Linlew Drive and Tsienneto Road.
Fowler said motorists should be aware of the new striped lane configuration and the daytime lane shifts to accommodate the roadway widening and drainage construction. He also said motorists should expect minor delays.
The widening of the road is expected to continue to spur economic development in the TIF district that runs northerly on Manchester Road from Ross’ Corner to the Londonderry town line.
The Manchester road project was helped along by mild winter weather and a lower cost than first estimated.
The total project cost is about $5.1 million with the net amount to be bonded of $3.4 million. When the project originated in 2006, it had a projected cost of $6.5 million and authorized bonding of $5.4 million.
In addition to a favorable construction bid from Continental Construction, the project cost was helped by a lower than anticipated bond rate.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: How will he top the Twinkie auction for Santa Fund? - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Farnum Center: Blight to bright - 1
- Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives) - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Something to cheer about - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Mom's outlook puts everything in perspective - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Tech lovers can't give these glasses a pass - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Stache Dash to raise cash - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Boutiques transform a city block - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Wear pink and prepare to be pampered at the Enchanting Beauty Women's Expo - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 0
- UPDATE: Mass. man wanted for targeting victims through online dating site arrested - 2
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Man fails in attempt to rob Goffstown gas station - 0
- AL East looks loaded again in 2014 - 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
Big tipper stops for lunch
Driver was trying to kill himself
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
2 NH men accused of drug trafficking
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal