Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
Fishers fall for third time to New Britain lefthander
New Hampshire Union Leader
MANCHESTER — Lefty Logan Darnell defeated the Fisher Cats for the third time this season, pitching eight superb innings as New Britain posted a 7-1 win before 4,491 fans at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium on Monday afternoon.
Fisher Cats designated hitter Brian Van Kirk clouted a solo home run in the fifth inning for the only blemish against the Minnesota Twins prospect. Darnell (8-6, 4.13 ERA) allowed five hits and struck out seven as New Britain remained in a first-place tie with Trenton atop the division standings.
Darnell retired 10 consecutive Fisher Cats after giving up the blast to Van Kirk, his fourth homer of the year. The Rock Cats opened the scoring in the first inning – as they did all series – with run-scoring singles by Evan Bigley and Nate Hanson.
Fisher Cats starter Chad Jenkins (4-8) gave up six runs on 11 hits, including a string of two-out hits in the second inning as New Britain upped the lead to 4-0. Bigley and Hanson each had two hits and two RBIs to lead the Rock Cats (50-39).
Van Kirk finally gave Jenkins some run support in the fifth inning, blasting his first homer since May 25 at Binghamton. Fisher Cats reliever Steve Marek pitched a scoreless seventh and eighth, and Ron Uviedo gave up a run in the ninth on Aaron Hicks’ solo homer to right field.
New Hampshire (36-53) hits the road following the All-Star break, playing at New Britain on Thursday night to begin a seven-day trip. The Fisher Cats return home on July 19 to begin a four-game series against Portland.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'