Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: 5-month-old suffers severe burns after fall into washing machine
MANCHESTER - A five-month-old baby suffered burns over 90 percent of his body when he tumbled into a washing machine being filled with hot water after his father became distracted while changing him, police said.
Shea Giampetruzzi, the son of Joseph Giampetruzzi and Leanna Lemay, was rushed to Catholic Medical Center Tuesday night and later transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier said the baby was expected to be transferred to Shriners Hospital for Children - Boston - for further treatment.
She said the baby was injured in what "appears to be an accident," according to a preliminary investigation.
The father was changing the baby's diaper about 8:20 p.m. in an area set up next to the washer in a bathroom of the family's 449 Kelley St., first floor apartment. He became distracted and the baby fell into the washer, she said.
The washer was filling with what District Fire Chief Al Poulin said was "very hot" water when the baby fell into it and suffered extensive burns.
Giampetruzzi quickly pulled his son out of the machine and 911 was immediately called.
"Any type of burns over that much of the body is life-threatening at any age," said District Fire Chief Al Poulin.
Amanda Stevens, who lives in the second floor apartment directly above, said she heard the mother yelling Tuesday night and then saw a fire truck, ambulance and three police cruisers pull up in front of the three-story, three-unit building that has a cottage in back.
Stevens has lived in the building for about five years. She said Giampetruzzi and Lemay moved into the first floor apartment about five months ago. Lemay, she said, has two other daughters who are about 8 and 1 1/2 years old, but she did not know if Giampetruzzi is their father.
Investigators with the police department's juvenile division continue to investigate the incident.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended - 0
- Budget plan presses NH hospitals to join managed care networks - 0
- Students hold ceremony to honor flags - 0
- This week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- McCafferty nominated for District Court judge position - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Win tickets to see American Idol Live!
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty