Friday's Manchester Circuit Court Proceedings
July 13. 2012 9:00PM
A former maintenance worker at the Birch Hill Retirement Community, 200 Alliance Way, was arraigned Friday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on three felony charges of receiving stolen property and one felony theft by unauthorized taking, as well as a misdemeanor charge of theft by deception.
Jeffrey Cecchetti, 24, of 101 Putnam St., is accused of stealing jewelry from residents and selling it to a local pawn shop.
Cecchetti could enter no plea to the felony charges, so a probable cause hearing was set for July 31, when there will be a status hearing on the misdemeanor charge.
Bail was set at $25,000 cash/surety, with conditions barring Cecchetti from going to the retirement community.
Wanted in Bedford
Police prosecutor Lt. Ron Mello Friday sought bail of $1,500 cash/surety in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division for Morgan Dennison, 17, of 359 Belmont St., who pleaded innocent to theft by unauthorized taking.
Mello said when Dennison was arrested for shoplifting Thursday night, police learned there was a Bedford arrest warrant for her on a similar charge. He said there also had been detention orders for her as a juvenile in 2009 and 2010 for shoplifting.
Dennison's mother asked Judge Gregory Michael to order Dennison to get help for alcohol and mental health issues.
The judge set bail at the $1,500 cash/surety requested by the prosecutor, with conditions barring Dennison from any Rite Aid store, and set a status hearing for Aug. 16.
Third DWI charge
Bail was set at $5,000 cash/surety Friday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division for a man arrested for driving while intoxicated, third offense.
Police prosecutor Lt. Ron Mello said after Ernest Viens, 33, of 32 Maplehurst Ave., was arrested after police received reports about his erratic driving, it was learned he already has two DWI convictions. Mello said one was in 2006 in Auburn and the second was in Merrimack in 2008.
Mello had requested $10,000 cash/surety bail, but after Viens told Judge Gregory Michael: 'It seems really high,' Michael cut the amount in half.
Conditions of Viens' bail bar any alcohol consumption.
Victim denies threat
The man Rhonda Johnson is accused of threatening with a knife told Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Judge Gregory Michael Friday: 'She never threatened me.' The alleged victim said: 'All we were doing was sitting under a shade tree.'
Johnson, 42, who lists the New Horizons shelter as her address, could enter no plea to the felony reckless conduct charge that alleges she went at the alleged victim with a knife held in a stabbing position twice, but he was able to block her action. Police prosecutor Lt. Ron Mello said: 'There was a knife recovered at the scene.'
The alleged victim also repeatedly asked various court personnel and the judge if Johnson's bail on a pending criminal trespass charge was going to be revoked. But the prosecutor had chosen to file a contempt of court charge, not a bail revocation motion.
Mello requested bail of $7,500 cash/surety, noting Johnson was convicted earlier this year of criminal trespass, which carries a suspended sentence, and is facing trial Aug. 30 on another trespass charge.
After pleas from the alleged victim that he had put up the money for Johnson's bail on the pending charge and can't afford a high bail, Michael set bail for Johnson on the new charges at $2,500 cash/surety, with conditions barring contact with the alleged victim.
A probable cause hearing on the felony was set for July 31 and trial on the misdemeanor was set for Aug. 30, the same day as her pending trespass charge.